Thursday, January 12, 2012

6 years ago didn't pay the dwi fine in NC, problem getting a license in another state?

Over 6 years ago in NC I was charged with a DWI and was convicted (first offense). I was stupid, and after being convicted I didn't pay the fine. Since then I have been working out of the country and had no need for a driver's license. Now I will be moving back to the states and will be needing a driver's license. Given that the DWI is 6 years old and I will be in another state, will I have a problem getting a license? Should I call the NC DMV and ask, or is it so old that I shouldn't even bother? I wouldn't want to jog their memory if it isn't necessary, if you know what I mean...6 years ago didn't pay the dwi fine in NC, problem getting a license in another state?
You've lost your driving privileges, and there is a good chance ther is a warrant for your arrest. Check with the state of your conviction. You won't be getting a license until the court, and the DMV are satisfied.
I don't think your North Carolina record follows you anywhere. But you might want to call and double check.6 years ago didn't pay the dwi fine in NC, problem getting a license in another state?
It will be on your driving record in case they check and if the judge entered it, well it could be on your criminal record as well. Could even be a warrant on file for you. Then again, may not be there. The old saying is "You pays your money (or in your case don't pays your money) and you takes your chance.
The first answer is wrong...if you have not paid your fine, your license will have been revoked. If you move to another state and wish to apply for a DL, you need to pay your fine and whatever else you were supposed to do. I know that in Colorado, if someone moves here and has had their DL privileges revoked due to a DUI, DWAI, DUID charge in another state, your driving privileges will not be granted until the fine or original charge is taken care of.6 years ago didn't pay the dwi fine in NC, problem getting a license in another state?
You will not be able to apply for a license until you become valid. When they go and enter your name, date of birth, and social security number, they will get a control number. It will inform the DMV that you are not eligible for a license because of the problem in NC and they will instruct you to contact them. You may also want to contact the court to see if you have a warrant for your arrest!
You need to contact the courts in NC and the DMV, and see what they tell you, because YES, it will follow you-even to another state. I don't know what part of NC, you got your ticket in, but I do have a name in particular, and it'll cost you some money and he can look into your driving record back there. I won't give you the name, unless you really need it. He'll assist you really well. Also, I don't know what state you plan to coming to live in, but you need to really get that cleared up, because it takes time.



How do I know? Because my husband went thru this mess from that state and it was affecting him, that he couldn't get a license here in CA, because of stupid mess, that he did some years back (his was in '91 or '92, can't recall)-like you. And for your information, the states are cracking down on issuing licenses for a variety of reasons, child support obligations is one of them and other criteria. It's a good thing that you're handling this, now get going and don't sit on this, any longer!!!
Contact the Clerk of Court in which county you were convicted in to see if a warrant was issued. They can advise you what steps are needed to clear up this issue.
  • carolina skiff
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment