Thursday, January 12, 2012

I had no lapse in insurance coverage but my NC registration was revoked anyways.?

I recently changed insurance companies and never had a lapse in coverage. I got new insurance before the old was canceled which had me actually double covered for a month. NC DMV sent me a letter asking for new insurance information because the old was canceled. I actually forgot about the letter for 3 weeks and eventually sent the letter in (I had 90 days to respond). Insurance changed happened in May and after I returned my letter with new insurance information I never heard back. Assumption that all was ok! I get pulled over 2 weeks ago with the officer stating my tag has a notice of seize for lapse in insurance coverage. Had insurance information in the car, police didn't care and they took my license plate. Got a hold of the DMV to which they say just have the insurance company send in a FS-1 form, which I did. I got a letter a few days ago saying everything was fine and the violations have been cleared.



Now I call the DMV back and ask about getting my tag back, which it was a personalized tag. They say it's gone, I can't have it back and I must go to my local office and try to request this plate again and pay the registration fees all over again. My question is how can I get my original plate back, that I have already paid annual registration fees on and get the same personalized tag as well?I had no lapse in insurance coverage but my NC registration was revoked anyways.?
It does happen. Soon as your coverage lapsed the company it lapsed with, if they didn't know you got new coverage elsewhere or were just being nasty because of loosing your business, MUST notify the DMV of such. The law is you MUST have coverage, and them notifying the DMV of your cancellation was all it took to get the ball rolling.



As for the DMV loosing your plate, only thing you can do is see if they will let you file for a lost/destroyed plate. You still have to pay something but you'll get your plate if someone hasn't already been issued the same vanity plate you had.







Bummer you are paying insurance on a car you can't drive.I had no lapse in insurance coverage but my NC registration was revoked anyways.?
You must look like a bad boy and have a sassy mouth on you so the cops decided to make you some trouble and conveniently "misplaced" your plate. been known to happen. I think you have no choice but to do as they say. Pretty sneaky way for the state to make money.

No comments:

Post a Comment