Thursday, January 12, 2012

NC Judgement, deputy sheriff advised me, is this true?

i have a civil judgement in the state of NC, it started in small claims for 1500, then it went to district court and he was awarded 5000, then i appealed to superior and he was awarded 8000 x 3 for me not showing and he has 32k judgement... i have a new vehicle i purchased but it still has SC temp plate and the dealer is still the owner on the SC title, and the title is at the NC dmv but i havent registered it yet... the deputy in this county came to me telling me that if i put my mom on the registration, as a co-owner that the vehicle will be safe for good as long as she is on it..is this true? he said if the vehicle was a ferarri or something worth alot more they would still take it but since its only a normal 14k car, that they wont. some people are telling me he is lying to me..i also have the option to register the vehicle in florida as i have a florida driver license....would it be safer with a FL plate even if its physically in NC, or should i just put mom on NC registration?NC Judgement, deputy sheriff advised me, is this true?
You should talk to a lawyer. Once a judgment is issued against you it gives the winner a basic right to try to get money out of you. There are ways to shelter stuff but I would not rely on a lay person for advice on how to do this, that includes the deputy and your friends. I highly doubt the deputy was lying to you, he doesn't have a dog in the fight but he may not have full possession of the facts, and I highly doubt your friends do either.

No comments:

Post a Comment