Thursday, January 19, 2012

Requirements for buying car outside of resident state?

I am taking trip to MA in a rental car and am planning on buying a car while I am there and driving both back to NC. Any idea how i handle the licence plate situation? Should I take the licence off the car I have in NC with me to put on the new car or is this a situation where I have to go to the DMV and get a temp plate? Also, couldn't my car in NC be towed if it is sitting out with no plate while I am gone?Requirements for buying car outside of resident state?
Different states have different rules and regulations about out of state registrations. In most states, you can get a temporary license plate to transport the vehicle to your state. If you are buying the car from a dealer, they should be able to help you with that. Some states require that the dealership handles the registration, especially if you have borrowed money. The bank wants to make sure the car is registered. There are a number of websites that can give you the different rules in different states.

Not sure of the sales tax thing, but if you think you will pay less sales tax by buying it in a different state, you are wrong. If the state you live in has a higher tax rate, they will charge you the difference between one state and another. You will not however receive a refund if the state you are buying it in is higher.Requirements for buying car outside of resident state?
You should check with the MA DMV first and/or the NC DMV.



I've done this once when I lived in PA and bought a car in VA. VA requires you purchase a transit sticker back to your home state. This cost $15 back in 2000. So, it's nominal, really.



I'm guessing the procedure in MA is similar, but you never know.



I would not recommend taking your plates off your NC car. If you get pulled over, and the plates don't match, you're in big trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment