Thursday, January 12, 2012

Does the DMV provide you with a motorcycle when taking the On-Cycle skills test?

I'm about to go and take the tests required for my motorcycles license.



I feel like this is a somewhat dumb question, as I suspect I know the answer, but neither of the Street-bikes I own are currently registered or insured for the road. So I'm just curious whether I'll just be able to take the written tests and get the Permit, or whether the DMV provides a motorcycle when taking the on-cycle skills test. I suspect you'd need to provide your own bike, but I don't know. The NC DMV's website is not very clear on the subject.



I'm 19, and have been riding motorcycles since I was 6 years old. My dad has been riding motorcycles for more than 40 years, (and he's had a license since he was 14!!) but he has refrained from allowing me to get my license. After talking to him about it, he finally promised me that he'd let me get my license after I'd been driving (my car) for another 6 months, but has since changed his mind. Its now been more than a year since that conversation. I'm a very good driver, I've never been in an accident and I have no points on my license, so there's really no reason for him to hold back.



So since I'm over 18, I've just decided its time for me to go and get my license on my own. He's actually away riding as I type this, so I feel its an appropriate time for me to go and get it! :P



Thanks for the help!Does the DMV provide you with a motorcycle when taking the On-Cycle skills test?
Details may vary per state but the generic answer is no. You must provide your own bike and it must be insured and pass inspection (operating lights, horn, etc) For a skills test. Permits are usually only written exams and will allow you to ride but with restrictions. Again check your state laws.



One suggestion is to look into how your state handles MSF course certificates. In IL you can take a state sponsored MSF course (2 full days), get a cert, and get your license at the DMV. No skills test required. The MSF course was a huge turning point when I was convincing my parents to let me ride. It can also help bring down insurance costs on the bikes when you do get them road ready.
You need your own. And if yours dont qualify you cant use them.Does the DMV provide you with a motorcycle when taking the On-Cycle skills test?
You must use your own properly registered, properly insured motorcycle w/all lights, horn, and everything else working. You may be able to pass on the riding skills test by taking a MSF course.
DMV doesn't supply a bike.Your bike must have :all lights working including turn indicators on the instrument cluster :brakes in good working order: side or centre stand :No play in the steering head:Tires in good condition and inflated properly:NO visible wiring not properly tied down:Seat in good condition:Working hornDoes the DMV provide you with a motorcycle when taking the On-Cycle skills test?
The bird says nooooooooo

No comments:

Post a Comment